20080124

The Main Line

.
.
Ichthus - 8 random things
.

• When I was young my parents didn’t have a lot of money for Christmas one year. My Christmas present was a dollar bag of 100 plastic airplanes. I had a lot of fun with those planes.
.
• My favorite author is Isaac Asimov. Not only do I enjoy his fictional work I also enjoy his non-fictional work. My goal is to own every book he has written. I might need to open my own library.
.
• I have worked at the same job for over 21 years. I have gone through a change in location and a change of ownership. The company first location was the back of a former Ford dealer, the first in town. Our office was once a coal bin, which was dark and gloomy, not to mention cold in the winter. One year while watching A Christmas Carol on TV, I couldn’t help but notice how similar my working conditions were to Bob Cratchit. Bob, I know what you’re going through.
.
• I always had a fascination with airplane especially the big ones. I’m amazed that something so large can get off the ground and fly so graceful.
.
• One evening while visiting my cousins, we were given a puppy from their dog’s litter. My older brother wanted to name it Snoopy but I didn’t think the name was appropriate for a girl dog. Since my brother stayed overnight at my cousins’ house, I decided to give her a more appropriate name, Ginger. My brother didn’t seem to mind.
.
• When I was very young we visited my grandparents in the Blue Ridge Mountains. My brother and I walked up this path to the top of a hill behind my grandparents’ house and found a mobile home with no road leading to it. We were puzzled by how it got there. We later learned a helicopter placed the mobile home there. Some 10 years later, when we went to visit again, the first thing my brother and I did was walk up the hill to see if the mobile home was still there. It was.
.
• I have always wanted a Basset Hound. I just love those floppy ears and sad, mournful eyes. One Saturday morning I was looking at our local paper and saw a picture of a Basset Hound. It was found wondering the street and taken to the street department where the stray dogs are kept. After 10 days nobody had claimed it. The street department was considering keeping it as a mascot. We called the street commissioner who was a friend of the family and he agreed to let us take him. I’ll never forget the day Montgomery became a member of our family.
.
• Having been born and raised during the space program, I have had an interest in space and have become a big fan of space-based science fiction.
.
I have tagged LoveJohnston, GenPatton43 and MissCincy.
.
Ichthus






4 comments:

terocious said...

These are so much fun. I wish that I could do them for everyone. Great stories Ichthus. I share your fascination with the space program and I can easily imagine how it would spark a kids imagination to learn that a helicopter was responsible for the mobile home on high. Montgomery is a great name for a Basset Hound and from now on I will imagine you sitting at a tall desk wearing a scarf and able to see your own breath. Thanks for allowing the Junction to host your 8.
-b

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about you, Ichthus. Definitely can related to the bag of 100 airplanes...mine were farm animals...amazing how we can use imagination to play with simple things. Reading enhances one's mind and vocabulary. A Basset Hound seems to be the dog I picture with intelligent people. You are one of them. I enjoyed your story. alpha99wolf

SaveJake said...

Thank you for sharing Ichtus! You brought back memories of childhood that I cherish. I adore the names you come up with for your dogs!

Anonymous said...

My pleasure Terocious. That image is spot on except the tall desk was a rickety drafting table. The current facilities are luxurious in comparison. Two years ago I returned to my dad's hometown with my two nephews and we stop to show them where their great grandparents lived. As I was looking up at the house, I was tempted to walk up that hill one more time to see if the mobile home was still there. Sadly, the property is in other hands and I was not able to check it out. You won't believe how long it took me to select that name. It's definitely a good match for him.